Saturday, April 19, 2008

Stormy Entrance

Jackson's first night was spent hiding from the storms that came through the area early Thursday morning. Everyone in the hospital was moved as close to the center of the hospital as possible. The power at the hospital went out about 4:00 AM and didn't come back on until 11:00 AM. All critical systems at the hospital ran on generators while the power was out. We would have slept through the whole thing if the nurses wouldn't have woken us up. This lack of sleep thing with new babies is true.

After hearing stories of damage in the area, I went to go check the house and the condo on Thursday morning to make sure they were all right. The house was fine. I just found the trash cans about two houses down. The condo was a different story. When I pulled into the the condo neighborhood, it looked like a small war zone. Trees were laying on the ground, chimneys were toppled, siding was everywhere, terra cotta tiles littered the ground and windows were shattered. Luckily, our condo only received damage to the skylight. God was watching out for us.

Here are some pictures after the cleanup had started.

Next door neighbor's chimney laying on it's side. My neighbor told me that water got into his house and started running down the ceiling fan in his bedroom. He only woke up once the water started to spray him as it hit the fan.




Chimney top laying on the ground. I think this is the one that was wedged against our neighbor's back door.




Just some of the trees that were blown down in the area.




The only damage we received was to a skylight. I think one of the terra cotta tiles nailed it as the tile sailed across the roof.

No comments: