Monday, January 30, 2012

Jackson (3.5 years) & Ryan (17.5 months)

We haven't had much going on the last few weeks.  It's been nice to have some down time.  I don't have much to post about or any exciting pictures to share.  Just a few from day to day life around here.  I'm also going to do an update on what the boys are up these days so I can look back and remember.  If I had to describe our life right now in one word it would be CHAOS! 

This is a lot of what I see these days.  Two boys playing very hard.  Someone usually ends up getting hurt.  And now it's not just Ryan that gets hurt.



Daddy, Ryan, and Jackson making homemade popcorn for movie night.  (Ryan never did sit and watch any of the movie.  He just went around and stole popcorn from each of our bowls even though he had his own bowl.)

A rare moment when they were both still and peaceful.

Dinner times are messy these days.

Ryan snuggling with his Reveille pillow pet.  (excuse the color... I'm trying to learn some settings on my camera and I really have no idea what I'm doing)

Anytime one of us lays on the floor Ryan is right there climbing on top of us.

Ryan is starting to enjoy feeding himself with a spoon and fork.  I'm thankful for this transition but it sure is messy!


Jackson at 3 1/2:
  • He still plays with his hair all the time
  • He is at a very curious age.  He is constantly asking questions.  What kind of eyes does a lobster have?  How do you grow?   When do you get married?  What do porcupines eat?  How did God make us?  How are babies born?  etc.  Most of these questions are asked in the car.  He doesn't stop talking.  I'm thankful for that uninterrupted time even though it can be a little tiring.  We have started checking out a lot of non-fiction books from the library.  We've read about snakes, dinosaurs, trains, and lots more.
  • He finally knows how to ride a bike.
  • He often insists on getting dressed himself.
  • He is VERY easily frustrated.  He can ride a bike and get himself dressed most of the way but that comes with lots of screaming and tears of frustration.  I'm afraid he comes by it naturally since I am also easily flustered and frustrated.  Poor guy!
  • He loves his pre-school and is doing really well.
  • He loves talking to older kids.  The other day when we were waiting to get his hair cut he made friends with a third grader. 
  • He and Ryan are fighting a lot.  Oh my!  I think I have a long road ahead of me.  The other day at Kroger they were sitting in the little car at the front and I noticed Jackson elbowing Ryan and Ryan scratching Jackson.  Jackson was the first one in tears.  Ryan is finally getting Jackson back for months of being beat up.  Won't be long before they are equal opponents.  I LOVE having two boys and love that they will have each other but boy I think we are going to have lots of injuries. 
Ryan at 17 1/2 Months:
  • Lots of changes for Ryan.  He is really growing up and becoming a typical busy toddler.  He doesn't want to ride in the stroller or grocery cart anymore.  It's getting wild!  The other day we were leaving Sprouts and he wanted to walk so I let him.  He started walking in the opposite direction where the cars were coming so I turned to get him and then the cart (with Jackson in it) started rolling away.  I had a lovely audience of cars watching me trying to figure out what to do. 
  • If you are eating something he sticks out his tongue trying to get you to show him what you are eating.
  • He LOVES to be naked.  He is never happier than when he is naked.  Doesn't matter how cold it is.  If I say, "do you want to get dressed?"  he shakes his head no.
  • He's down to one nap and is on a consistent schedule.  He sleeps great.
  • He loves loves loves his paci and tag blankets.  He will sneak in his room and try to pull them out of his crib.  I've had to start putting them at the very back where he cannot reach them.  We try to only use the paci for sleep.
  • He follows kitty around saying, "kit-ty, kit-ty, kit-ty"
  • Church is wild these days.  He is very loud and does not want to sit.  Laine and I are always so relieved when communion is over and we take him to the nursery.
  • He's really talking a lot these days.  If I get him a snack out he starts saying "bowl" and goes and gets one.  He also signs hat (learned at story time at the library) and says it.  He signs "more" as well.  He says:  kitty, mama, dada, bowl, ball, all done, thank you, Jackson (sounds like yak yak), moo, bye, woof, mmmm (can mean a lot of things depending on what he's doing - usually more, milk, or he will point to something and that is what he wants you to do), hat
  • Loves to hear music.  He goes to his CD player and says mmmm and I know he wants to hear music.
  • He seems to recognize several songs.  He does the twinkling stars with his hands and sings "ba ba ba" for "Twinkle Twinkle."  Laine and I may be crazy but we really felt like his "ba ba ba" was almost the right tune.  When we start to sing "This little light of mine" he immediately starts to blow his finger for the part that says, "don't let Satan blow it out."  He seems to be more musically inclined than the rest of us.

5 comments:

Tanna said...

They are busy, busy little guys!! I know you are so busy keeping up with them, too!! Bless your heart... with one going one way and the other in the opposite direction!! It takes special people to be Moms! blessings ~ Tanna

Lauri said...

I love the updates on your sweet boys!! That Ryan is cracking me up! He sounds like he's turning into a little firecracker, love it!! And I think your pictures are great! I love the blurry ones (mine are usually blurry too) because it goes to show just how active and busy those precious boys are these days!

Katherine said...

Love the updates! I had to say I had to laugh out loud about your story at Sprouts- Ryan on the loose and Jackson rolling off in the shopping cart and a line of cars watching the whole thing. Oh girl, welcome to my world! You don't know how many times I have to say to myself, act calm, hold it together...ah these busy, busy toddlers. I think I might have a head full of gray hair before I'm 40! :) But you know, we've got healthy, happy kids and that's all we could ask for...gray hair or not! I'm so thankful I can watch your kiddos grow up! Precious, precious boys you have! Love you guys!

Courtney said...

This was a joy to read!

Amanda said...

I grinned ear to ear reading your updates. Those boys sure know how to keep you on your toes. I especially love that Ryan seems to be tough enough to hold his own against his big brother. You go, little Ryan. =) Jackson has "trained" him well. Ha! I know you must be worn out at the end of every day, but I also know that you wouldn't trade one moment of this time in their lives. In case you haven't heard it lately, you are one AMAZING momma, and I am so encouraged and inspired by you. I love you!