Monday, August 10, 2009

Summer is Coming to an End

You can probably tell from my lack of posting that I'm back at work. :-( It's definitely been easier this time around since Jackson is bigger. He is not back at day care yet though. That starts next week. I have to admit that I'm dreading next week. The one good thing about day care last year is that he was too little to know that I left. This year he is definitely going to know and it might not be pretty. The good thing is that he will know many of the kids in his class. He will take a nap on a cot this year so that makes me a little sad but I've heard from other moms that they all worried about this and the kids do great. He will be with the 18 - 24 month class. He was 16 months yesterday so he'll be on the young end. Hopefully that means he'll learn more (I'm just hoping it's not hitting, biting, and stuff like that!) We have meet the teacher night on Friday so we will look forward to meeting his new teachers. I have heard great things about them so far.

While I'm thinking about it, I need to say a HUGE THANK YOU to Aunt Courtney and Mumsey for watching Jackson over the last few weeks while I've been back at work. They have both done such a great job and Jackson has really seemed to enjoy their company.

Yesterday we went to church with G and Dada and then to Babe's for lunch to celebrate their 43rd anniversary. What a great example they are to us! Jackson enjoyed exploring and playing at their house.

Jackson is now 16 months old. This past month has been so much fun. I cannot believe how much fun we have together. He is learning new things every day. Here's what he's up to recently:

  • He's starting to eat vegetables again! Yea!
  • walking and running everywhere, exploring every nook and cranny, climbing, etc.
  • Loves to jump on piles of pillows on the bed and hide from us
  • Saying mama, dada, nana (banana), ball, uh-oh, moo, oh oh ah ah (monkey sound), and he will mimic the up and down cadence of all done, hot dog, and thank you
  • He understands SO much: let's go change your diaper (he walks to the room), let's go read (goes to the chair we read in), give the ball to daddy (he will go find Laine and give it to him), go get your cup (goes and finds his cup) - it amazes me every day
  • He waves at everyone. Aunt Courtney noticed him waving once when she had him in the car and then she looked over and saw the lady next to him waving at him.
  • He has figured out how to turn him self over and slide down to get off a chair, couch, and bed.
  • He gives kisses!!!! I LOVE those open mouthed slobbery kisses. I will never in my life get enough of those from him. I get sad thinking that one day he won't want to kiss me anymore.
  • He has certain books that he just gravitates to and loves for a few days or weeks and then moves on. Some of his favorites over the last few months have been: Baby Animals, Moo, Baa, La La La, The Foot Book, Maisey's Favorite Transportation (or something like that), No, David, and many many more. I'll read him one of his favorites and put it in the basket and then move on to another book. He'll take that book away from me and then get the one he likes back out! So funny.
  • He is really doing a good job of communicating his needs. Today he pointed to the microwave and then went to his high chair. He wanted some hot food!
  • He can point to his belly button and to ours too.
  • He still loves to be outside. We play outside all the time and walk up and down the sidewalk.
  • He will sit in his room with his basket of books and look through them and read to himself for a good chunk of time. I like to peek in on him and watch him - so cute!
  • He still sleeps like a champ! 11 - 12 hours at night and 1 1/2 - 3 hours during the day. I am hoping and praying he does well at day care this year because he's done fabulous this summer.
  • Loves bath time

I think that's it for now. I'm sure I'll think of more as soon as I post this.

I'll post pictures in the next day or two.

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Wow- he is doing so much! Doesn't it just seem like over night they can do so much! I love how many sounds and words he is saying and how he is communicating to you in other ways than words. That's so great! It really is a whole new world when they can understand so much and communicate too. I'm so glad you enjoyed your summer with your little guy and I'll be thinking about you these next few weeks as he starts back at day care and your routine starts back!

Tanna said...

I know one little mom who is hoping for:

"He still sleeps like a champ! 11 - 12 hours at night and 1 1/2 - 3 hours during the day. I am hoping and praying he does well at day care this year because he's done fabulous this summer."

How great is that?!

I'll be thinking about you as school gets going. Leaving your little loves at daycare is hard. Glad ya'll had such a wonderful summer!

Amanda said...

Can I make a request? I would LOVE to see a little video clip of him saying his words and reading his favorite books in his room by himself.

And, yes, I am hoping for longer stretches of sleep. Curious to hear about your sleep training technique. You may have to give me some lessons when you're here in a few weeks.

Can't wait to see pictures in the next few days! Miss you tons!

Lauri said...

I love how Jackson knows exactly what books he wants you to read! Too funny. He is going to be a book lover like his Mommy!

I know it's such a bummer to be going back to school after such a fun summer together. I'll be praying that the transition goes smoothly for all of you. Also, I bet Jackson will do great learning lots of cool tricks from the older kids in his group.

One more thing...Yay, Jackson for being such a great sleeper!