Guess who I found sitting on the dining room table eating the M&M's out of the hurricane today? Yep, Jackson can spot candy anywhere! I just bought them and put them in there last night. Funny thing is that I bought the dark chocolate peanut M&M's because I knew I wouldn't eat those! Guess he doesn't mind the dark chocolate. I think I'm going to have to put them up. I'm not sure Jackson can stand the temptation.
Okay, so about 20 minutes after the first time I caught him eating them and after I told him they were decoration and not to be eaten Jackson shut the door to Ryan's room while I was changing his diaper. I heard the clang of the M&M's against the glass. He purposefully closed Ryan's door so he could sneak some M&M's. Can you believe that?!?! He seems too little to be so sneaky!
Here's the part that makes me sad: it's not the first time he's been so sneaky. Once I walked in on him digging in the kitchen junk drawer. I used to keep gum in there. When he saw me he said, "Don't come in here mommy. I'm not looking for candy." Also, one other time I was feeding Ryan in his room and Jackson came and shut the door. I walked out and he had a marker he had found somewhere. He KNEW he shouldn't have it and that's why he came and shut Ryan's door. He didn't want me to know he had it.
Is this normal for a 2 1/2 year old? He just seems young to me to already be sneaking stuff. Laine thinks I'm crazy for worrying so much about it but I am having visions of my teenage boy sneaking out of the house!!!!
Any advice on how to address it from some of you with older kiddos?
4 comments:
I'm pretty sure that Jackson is not the only two and a half year old who is trying to outwit his mom. I will be back to see the advice you're given. And then I will tuck it away for the very near future when it's my turn. =)
PS - I bought the Jesse Tree book on amazon last night. Can't wait to get it in. Thanks for the tips on the ornament exchange.
PPS - if you came up to my front porch, you wouldn't even have to knock on the door to be invited in. You could just come on in and make yourself right at home. =)
My initial thought is that at least Jackson is getting his sneaky behavior out of his system now before he becomes a teenager, ha! I would say he's just going through a phase and definitely learning to test the boundaries with you. I think it's hilarious that he thinks he is outsmarting Mama by shutting the door--c'mon now, that is FUNNY!!! :-) But in all seriousness, I wouldn't worry about it too much but just be consistent in his boundaries and punishment for breaking the rules.
I will tell you, when Jeff's boys were growing up, the ultimate "sin" in Jeff's eyes was lying. When they became old enough to understand and then outright told a lie, the punishment was to go to their room for the rest of the day, no matter what time it was. (And back then there were no cell phones, Xboxes, TVs, etc. for them to play with in their rooms.) It definitely made an impression on the boys -- they still talk about that first lie they each told -- so there's definitely something to be said for setting the precedent when Jackson is old enough to be accountable. I have a feeling we'll be there with Connor sooner rather than later!
Oh girl. Too funny! He is a sneaky little one, isn't he! And an age appropriate sneaky one. I always put on my rose colored glasses in times like these and think well at least they are doing what is appropriate for their age.
Sadly the sneakiness doesn't really go away from my experience. I find myself telling Jacob to stop and think about the decision/choice you are about to make. Now, is that realistic for a 5 year old, probably not. But hopefully those words will stick with him and eventually mean something. I remember not ever wanting to disappoint my parents when I was young. So if Jacob does something bad/wrong, I tell him (hopefully without making him feel bad) that he disappointed me. And I tell Luke that it makes Mommy very sad when he does xyz. And I make a sad face.
You are Laine do an amazing job parenting sweet Jackson. He will grow up knowing right from wrong. He will grow up knowing Christ. He will have the love of Christ in his heart and that will guide him down the right path and help him make the right decisions. Now that's not to say he isn't going to get into some teenage trouble on down the road (what kid doesn't) but I know you and Laine will and are teaching him to do the right thing.
It is our job as mothers to worry about things like these I think. And it's because you are such a wonderful mother that you worry! Jackson's a good kid, just testing the waters!
Looks like you have gotten some good advice. Parenting is tough. I think it is most important to be consistent.
Have to admit, he was problem solving to get those M&M's. LOL.
Post a Comment