Sunday, December 19, 2010

To Paci or Not To Paci

Look at this sweet face! Ryan is seriously the SWEETEST little guy. I bet I give him about 200 kisses a day!







Now on to the title of the post.... A few weeks ago Ryan really regressed in his nighttime sleeping. He was making progress and then it seemed as if he was backtracking. One night I counted and we put thhe paci back in 18 times and I fed him twice that same night. At this point I knew I couldn't keep this up and that something was not right! I started to think that maybe putting the paci back in was waking him up rather than helping him. So on Tuesday night we decided that we wouldn't put the paci back in for a few days to see how it goes. On Tuesday night he did have to cry for a bit to fall asleep. Tuesday and Wednesday nights he did fuss some during the night. He didn't really fuss at all during the night on Thursday - last night (and that's even with a nasty cold!) He did wake later in the night to eat each of these nights but I expected that since he's now going to bed much earlier. It's only been 5 nights but I have seen GREAT improvement so I'm hoping we are moving in the right direction. We are still using the paci for naps and for sleep when we are out of the house because it still seems to work well for that. I am noticing my sanity slowly coming back now that I'm getting a little more sleep. :-)
With Christmas around the corner we've been busy having lots of fun.
Doing things like posing for pictures...



And having special visits from our friends, the Courtrights, for our annual Christmas get together.
Here are the older boys eating dinnner.



And the girls: Katherine, me, and Lauri (we missed you Amanda!)
The girls were able to get away for a little bit thanks to the dads!


All of the boys: Connor, Jacob, Ryan, Alex, and Lukie (just missing little Alex in VA)


Sweet Lukie with Ryan


Could Kaitlynn be an cuter????


All of the kiddos at the mall: Sarah, Connor, Jacob, Luke, Jackson, Kaitlynn, and Ryan


I stole this picture from Lauri's blog. I love it. It has been such a blessing to share motherhood with Katherine. Luke and Jackson are 2 1/2 months apart and Ryan and Sarah are just 13 days apart. Being able to get together with her and the kids definitely helps me stay sane!



Yesterday we went to Breakfast with Santa at our church. Jackson enjoyed donuts.


Visiting with Santa


And listening to a story with Mrs. Claus. She read a story about a grumpy shepherd whose heart turned to love and hope upon meeting baby Jesus.


Hope you and your family are enjoying lots of fun holiday activities as well!

4 comments:

Katherine said...

Love all the pictures and I'm so glad Ryan is doing better at night. Looks like the paci was hindering him a bit. So glad he's doing better. I do love Ryan's sweet smile in that second picture, a little toothless grin, love it!

And I must say that I too have truly enjoyed sharing motherhood with you. I love that our kids are so close in age. And I love your decision to stay at home so we can see you guys more often. :) I have loved our Thursday get-togethers. And you know the boys LOVE it too! :) They love their Aunt Dana.
You are a dear friend to me and I'm so thankful for you. Oh and I do love in the picture of us with the babes that Ryan's eyes are fixed on Sarah's paci. Too cute! Love you girlie!

Lauri said...

I am LOVING to read all about your fun Christmas activities!! I just can't tell you how impressive it is to me that Jackson tolerates Santa so well. And he sure seems to enjoy the big brother role these days.

Ryan is TOO precious and I can totally understand the 100 kisses a day! I am SOOOO happy for you that he is past his sleep slump and on to hours and hours of zzzzs for his Mama to maintain her sanity! That IS the key, I'm convinced. A little tough love goes a long way, right? Keep me posted on his progress, and enjoy these busy holidays!!

Tanna said...

Dana, ALL the pictures are so good! Lots of precious, precious babes and their mommas. I can see why 200 kisses/day is a minimum with that cute guy!!

Glad you are getting a little more sleep!

Tianay said...

Mommas always figure it out! Glad Mr. Ryan is doing better. No baby is the same and sometimes is just takes a little trial and error. That's what I am learning anyways. I am glad I will have a friend like you to lead me through the lessons in raising two. Merry Christmas! Hope the ZZZZs keep coming.